Thursday, May 6, 2021

Reflection: Stories and Listeners Go Hand in Hand



 May 6, 2021 - Thursday

The tour is over and it is time for reflection on the number of stories told and the number of listeners who were present in a virtual context to receive them. 

Over the course of five - one hour storytelling sessions, I was able to collectively share a total of thirteen tales. Whenever I go into school setting I always love to have a variety of tales. It keeps me engaged, on my toes, and always present in the moment of the story; as if I were telling each tale for the very first time.

My storytelling journey allowed me to reach and engage with 160 students from Dr. Roberta Bondar PS via the Ajax Public Library. Each participant was able to view me in spotlight mode on their own screen, from home due to the Ontario lockdown. 

According to the Canadian Children's Book Centre the estimated total number of students from the three remaining schools was 215 or more viewers. Reaching 375 students and staff over a two day period is not bad!!

Some of my take away thoughts from this virtual tour include:

  • Telling stories through virtual platforms is doable, but I prefer telling in person. 
  • It was worth investing in a ring light to help soften shadows that crop up in all online presentations.   
  • I benefitted from taking an online workshop 'Messing with the Zoom Zone' presented by Gary Cordingley, UK. This definitely enhanced my ability to work within the parameters of the screen and allowed me the freedom to explore and play with the camera.
  • Lastly, time spent practicing with my laptop camera and experimenting with my on-screen presence was invaluable. My ability to tell stories to an online audience was elevated to give each listener the experience of listening as if I was telling them a story for their ears only. 

      

            Waiting on the Virtual Curtain to Rise                    

 


Reflection: Stories and Listeners Go Hand in Hand

 May 6, 2021 - Thursday The tour is over and it is time for reflection on the number of stories told and the number of listeners who were pr...