Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Saint Catherine of Alexandria School & Ajax Public Library & Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School

May 4, 2021 - Tuesday 

Storytelling from the comfort of your home means setting up your space, checking to see if you have the right login information, and making your own breakfast. The good news is that I did not have to travel far, no jet lag, just the outside noise of a nearby lawn mower. 

Since light can shift through the morning I decided to do a quick test with the Zoom camera. I made a small recording to check the height of the camera as it should be eye level to give the  listeners the feeling that I am speaking directly to each and every one of them. Recording done, I save it and replay it only to discover that the camera works but there is no volume.  It took several tries till I finally figured out the problem. Phew!!

Lights, camera, microphone, tea, lipstick and I was ready to tell stories. The kids were popping onto the screen early and they came with questions and comments. Some were excited to meet a real live author - dang! I had to burst their bubble and explain that I was a storyteller.  They wanted to know if I would be reading to them, Yikes!!! A common misconception that storytellers face, but now the students of two more schools know the truth about those of us who tell stories from the oral tradition. 

 

The first school visit on day one was Saint Catherine of Alexandria in Georgetown, Ontario. I was welcomed by the principal of the school and Nelia Raposo-Desousa, the school's library technician. I had been asked in advanced if I could tell stories on 'Nurturing Hope' as their school would be celebrating Catholic Education Week.


I was prepared to tell four stories but in the end had enough time for three and Q&A after each story. The hour began with King Solomon and how he tried to teach his most trustworthy captain Benaiah a lesson in humility as he sent him on a wild quest to find a ring that did not exist. The students wondered if the story was true, and some commented on how the descriptive words brought the images to life. 


The next story told was "The Drum" a folktale out of India found in "Ancient Stories for Modern Times (retold by Faye Mogensen). With this telling I took a leap of faith and asked the students if they would like to help me tell the story of how a gift turned into something much more. Every time the rhythm repeated itself in the story the kids chanted from the comfort of their homes "tira kita ta dha, tira, kita ta dha." Thankfully, it worked like magic. It was a real hoot to watch children in little squares sprawled across my screen, as they engaged with the story and clapped out the rhythm. I could even hear them chanting. It was awesome!!!  


When the story was done, one young fellow said that he really liked my description of the stick that the mother found on the path. It was satisfying to hear that he was able to see it in his imagination. Another student started to tell me that the tale reminded him of another story about the 'gift of a smile', he then proceeded to tell that story to all of us. 


Since there was only time for one more story I suddenly found myself needing to make a quick choice and the kids told me that I should choose my favourite story - it was a hard choice, but  'The Tale of Meshka the Kvetch' by Carol Chapman won out.  When the telling was done, we explored how we all complain from time to time for it is a universal quality. The students agreed that they may have 'kvetched' a little during these challenging times, but will remember the story and praise the good in their lives going forward. One girl mentioned that her mother has taught her to send positive energy into the world with her thoughts and in doing so, good things will come her way. Now, ain't that the truth!!!


The school thanked me for sharing stories of hope and for sharing the role of the Rabbi and calling him a wise man, similar to a Priest, Father or other man of faith. An amazing hour was had by all despite the virtual dilemma of participating from home. I tip my hat off to the students and to the teachers for all that they are doing, bravo!!!!


I had a little quiet time before it was time to log into my next session. The Ajax Public Library was hosting Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School.  Originally, I was supposed to tell stories to grades 4-6, but was asked the previous day if I could allow grade 1 & 2 to join in. My email response read: "absolutely, the more the merrier".  A grand time to be sure was had by all.


I started off telling them a story from Afghanistan "The Two Beggars" the teachers were delighted because some students have connections to the region and the celebration of Eid 'festival of the breaking of the fast'.  It was followed by a Quebec folktale entitled 'The Talking Cat' by Natalie Savage Carlson (1952). A humorous story with a smattering of words in French to add to the flavour. 


The last story told before Q&A was a story that I have written. The inspiration for the story comes from the Haitian folktale "The Monkey Who Asked for Misery." I call it "A Girl with a Calabash (Bowl)." It is the girl's story and in the original folktale you never know what happens to the girl for she simply walks out of the story. It felt good to be telling this story of resilience, hope, strength, and bumps in the road we sometimes encounter. When I was done a young man by the name of Mustafa told me that he loved my stories and hopes someday I will become an author; and that my books would do well. He even suggested that maybe I could be the next J.K. Rowling. What a sweet boy!!!! Love the inspiration. Publishing a short story someday just might be a goal to strive for, but for now I will continue what I love to do.


I wish I could remember all of the comments and questions. One student asked what my favourite book is or was growing up? Truth be told I was not a good reader and reading was not my most enjoyable activity, so the book that I said was probably my all time favourite is: "The Tale of Meshka the Kvetch" because I could imagine my grandmother in that story, and also I know the Yiddish intonation of the spoken language.


Another student asked what influenced me to become a storyteller and my answer to that was meeting Robert Munsch at a teacher's convention in Montreal. The power that he commanded in the room full of teachers with his words and voice alone was mesmerizing. Another big influence in my storytelling journey was a workshop with Peninnah Schram, a great storyteller out of New York. She stood in front of us and told us stories and right then and there I decided that I would give it a try in my classroom with the aid of props to help me remember the sequence of a given tale. Or did my passion begin from the comfort of my stroller when I used to entertain the ladies in the lingerie department at Ogilvy's in Ottawa when I was four years of age? Who knows for sure???


Well I hope I haven't tuckered you out with all of these details. The day was great and tomorrow I will visit two more schools.  A big shout out to Tanushree Krishnanand of Dr. Roberta Bondar School, and Georgina Deroche at the Ajax Library, you both helped to make my online visit to the Ajax Library a most successful virtual tour. 

#ccbcbookweek2021

#storytellersofcanada




                                            A screen shot with my hosts prior to the session



                                                  Caught in action tapping out 'tira kita ta dha'

Reflection: Stories and Listeners Go Hand in Hand

 May 6, 2021 - Thursday The tour is over and it is time for reflection on the number of stories told and the number of listeners who were pr...